Monday, May 2, 2011

Worldwide Vegan Bakesale, Udo's Oil, and Naughty Vs Nice

Hey folks!

Is it sad that I've been waiting a year for this day to come around again - the Worldwide Vegan Bakesale!? Last year I picked up quite the treats at the sale and I can't wait for this weekend when I can sample even more delicious vegan goodies. (Like vegan croissants!)


Here's the downlow for those of you living in Dublin:
 
It's taking place on Saturday 7 May, from 12 - 2pm at Exchange Dublin (on the outskirts of Temple Bar). The organisers say:

Proceeds will be divided between the Vegetarian Society of Ireland (to put towards World Vegetarian Day 2011 and The Irish Vegetarian magazine) and World Vision Ireland's Haiti Appeal

If you'd like to bake something or to help out on the day please email bakesale@vegetarian.ie.
We'd love you and your friends and family to come along on the day to purchase delicious vegan treats too!
There will be a small craft fair on in Exchange Dublin at the same time which will add to the sense of occasion!

If you are involved in a vegan bakesale in Ireland, please let me know and I'll add it to the bottom of this post. If you haven't heard of this event before, here's the official international site.


In other news, Udo's Oil is looking for people to submit recipes for a new competition. So if you have some excellent vegetarian or vegan recipes, why not submit them?

Udo Erasmus, who invented the oil - and who I interviewed last year - is putting together a new recipe book and wants a recipe to represent each county in Ireland.

There is a prize fund for this competition of €4,600 and the overall winner will scoop €2,000 and their recipe will be featured on the menu at the Cellar Restaurant in Dublin's five-star Merrion Hotel.

Naturally, all recipes must feature Udo's Oil as an ingredient (if you haven't used it before, here's some information - it isn't used to cook food, it's added at the end of cooking as it shouldn't be heated).

You have until 31 May to enter, so why not get your thinking cap on?

For more information, or to enter, visit www.udoschoice.ie.

And in more news, I've started writing for the Irish Independent again, this time with one of my favourite people, Aoife McElwain, who is a lovely friend of mine and a very talented food blogger and writer.

Plus she has ace taste in music, and is so supportive of my vegan lifestyle. I'm delighted to be writing with her and our column, 'Naughty vs Nice', is always a hoot to write. The aim of the column is to contrast our differing tastes in food and offer a meaty dish and a vegetarian/vegan dish so that readers can choose whether they would like to be 'naughty' or 'nice' each week.

Obviously we don't think want people to feel 'bad' for eating a certain way so we approach the 'naughty' and 'nice' tags in a light-hearted and fun way and show that you can indeed have your cake and eat it too!

It's great to be able to spotlight vegan or veggie food each week and hopefully it will show readers that healthy food needn't be boring. Plus Aoife Mc is so good at supporting local Irish producers and she is inspiring me a huge amount in this respect.

You can find Naughty vs Nice in the Weekend magazine of the Irish Independent, every Saturday.

Here's a recent column of ours. 

What have you all been up to recently? Any new recipes or foods you'd like to share?

~Aoife

4 comments:

Glauce said...

Hope I can come to the Exchange on Saturday! I would love to be part of any event this year but time is not being my friend lately.

I've been following your new column and it's also part of the articles I'm collecting for my thesis :) Well done once again :)

Adventures in Veg said...

Yay! I hope you can make it too :)
So glad the articles are of use to you, that's brilliant news! Hope the thesis is going well? x

Callie {Rawxy} said...

Niiice - I love Udo's oil!! I might have to dig up some recipes for this one :)

Aurea@Survival Guide said...

hey, i was at the WW Vegan Bakesale too.. i hope it comes back every year and gets bigger and bigger! There's some talented vegans in Dublin :) yum-town!